Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Patience

Roro said:
"In my system, patience is in short supply. Can I have yours?"

I said:
"No, you may not."

Roro exploded with anger. He said:
"Can I have at least some?"

I asked:
"Can you wait for another day?"

Roro said:
"Why? Can I have at least some?"

I said:
"Can you wait, or can't you wait?"

Roro said, again:
"Why? Can I have at least some?"

I said:
"You can have some if you can wait."

Roro said nothing.
I repeated myself.

Roro asked:
"How long do I have to wait?"

I answered:
"Another day."

Roro said:
"You are very mean."

I said:
"Yes, I am mean. So?"

Roro sighed an exasperated sigh, and paced back and forth.

I asked:
"Would you like ice cream?"

Roro said:
"No! Patience."

I had my ice cream, and then faced Roro:
"Roro, the only way to have patience is to wait. Otherwise, you will never have it."

Finally, Roro said:
"I am waiting."

"Good," I said. "Now, keep waiting, and...."

Roro joined in: "... and keep trying." I gave him the rest of my ice cream. Patient both of us grew. Night came and went, and then there was another day.

No comments:

Post a Comment