Friday, January 8, 2010

On Why I Long for Southeast Asia

  • The existence of chili
  • The warm air
  • Greens, so many greens, on the plate as well as outside
  • Ah! multicultural desu ne.
  • Well, I haven't been to most places in S.E. Asia, so I should not generalize
  • I haven't seen, let alone experienced, how some people live
  • But you know
  • You know...
  • Dark history, you feel it in the window panes
  • China, Arabia, India. Europe. Japan. Neighbors. Les indigènes.
  • Tiles, oh, tiles!
  • Plants grow, oh, plants.
  • Rivers are not clear
  • Am I simply longing for the expat life?
  • Perhaps.
  • You know how FOREX works, don't you?
  • There is some guilt involved
  • O false sense of security, of understanding and communion
  • O!
  • The darkened, flickering fluorescent lights
  • Oh, if we were audacious enough to attribute an at-the-end-of-the-day philosophy to S.E. Asia, I think it could be: Do not sweat the small stuff!
  • What do you think?
  • The message is: You know, we are on earth, here & now
  • People are not looking!
  • Even if they were...meh! Hello? Why care? Please be more practical.
  • I need to learn that. I mean it.
  • MPH (Malaysia)
  • Gamelan (Indonesia)
  • The open air, not in the colonial sense, though...but perhaps a little bit, I don't know
  • The smell of morning
  • Frozen takoyaki from Japan, that's just nostalgia, or double/triple nostalgia
  • Made-in-Thailand ice cream
  • Mmm...orange!
  • Fading colors
  • Concrete blocks
  • You don't feel so lost, even if you are
  • Scatter, like islands
  • Like islands, scatter
  • And watch the sea, trees. If not the sea, hills. Dark and light hills. Towers. Dream.
  • Where is New York anyway? Lolo said: "To me, my navel is the center of the universe. To you, it may be different." Lolo added: "Don't think that there is only one map of the world." Then Lolo and her friends said in their hearts: "There are many." Lolo then added: "So don't be confused. Time, too, follows no uniform rules. Time does not wear school uniforms, for sure." Lolo said she learned this while being a resident in Southeast Asia. Or so I thought.
  • Oh oh, never mind.... Well. It's just impossible making a list of your really favorite things.

No comments:

Post a Comment